Kenley Jansen’s numbers are down, but in a good way.

Kenley Jansen’s numbers are down, but in a good way.

Postby zhangzk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 am

GLENDALE Jorge Posada Jersey , Ariz. (AP) — His fastball velocity has dipped for now, but he figures it will return. And besides, he said, “The radar gun is overrated.”The most important figure is 25 — the number of pounds the Los Angeles Dodgers closer lost in the offseason — which he says is why he feels like he’s in better shape overall.Jansen pitched his first Cactus League inning on Sunday, retiring the Texas Rangers on 12 pitches.Jansen threw 10 strikes, getting one strikeout, and pitched around an error. His fastball topped out at 92 mph , about 3 mph slower than his usual high.“The normal me in spring training,” Jansen said. “Sometimes the radar gun can get you in trouble. I learned my lesson last year. I wasn’t ready. Next thing you know, the ball didn’t have life (out of my hand).”Jansen said he’s focusing more on his legs, and “not trying to muscle the ball.” He credited pitching coach Rick Honeycutt for the change in philosophy.“He’s the best. He makes it so much easier for us,” Jansen said.Jansen had surgery in November to correct an irregular heartbeat that sidelined him last August before he returned late in the season. He had a similar procedure in 2012.Now 31, he decided to shed some weight because of the heart problem and his career-high 3.01 ERA. Since joining the Dodgers in 2010, his ERA is 2.20.“I feel great. I’m proud of myself. I want to play this game for a long time,” Jansen said. “I had a great offseason Johnny Damon Jersey , working out, losing all this weight. It paid off today.”Manager Dave Roberts said Jansen will next work in a game on Wednesday. Jansen doesn’t expect this spring to be much different than his usual approach to getting ready.“I usually try to get 8-10 innings,” he said.NOTES: Roberts said SS Corey Seager is doing well in his continued rehab from elbow and hip surgery that caused him to miss the 2018 season. “Right now, he’s in as good a spot as we could have hoped,” the manager said. Seager, the 2016 NL Rookie of the Year, played in an intrasquad game, getting four at-bats. He also took some ground balls and ran the bases. … Clayton Kershaw played catch on Sunday , “ramping up the intensity,” Roberts said. The manager said the Dodgers ace is back on track after cutting a workout short early last week with left shoulder discomfort. … Walker Buehler had his first bullpen session on Sunday as the Dodgers continue to carefully monitor his workload. The right-hander, who underwent Tommy John surgery in 2015, threw 160 innings as a rookie last year between the regular season and his start in Game 3 of the World Series. HOUSTON — After the news broke that Astros third baseman Alex Bregman had accomplished something never previously done by a player at his position, someone somewhere suggested he’d receive the Barry Bonds treatment when he came to the plate in high-leverage situations.During the Astros’ interleague series victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks, Bregman appeared to experience that cautious approach, producing a .538 on-base percentage despite recording onl he middle of his hot streaks,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said of Bregman, who is the first third baseman to record 30 home runs and 50 doubles in a season. “I do think people are pitching him pretty carefully and we’re seeing that probably a little more.”Article continues below ...The Astros (94-55) are 7-0-1 over their last eight series and 12-2 this month. They will host the Seattle Mariners for a three-game series starting on Monday at Minute Maid Park.The winner of the set will claim the season series, which is knotted at 8-8. Houston won the season series against the four other American League West teams en route to the 2017 World Series and has clinched the season series against its three division rivals excluding Seattle already this season.Rookie left-hander Framber Valdez (3-1, 2.66 ERA) will make his fifth career start and sixth appearance on Monday against the Mariners. He made his debut in Seattle on Aug. 21, allowing one unearned run on two hits and one walk with four strikeouts over 4 1/3 relief innings, earning the victory in th ncluding three starts) this season, going 1-1 with an 8.31 ERA. He is 1-1 with a 6.32 ERA over nine career appearances (five starts) against the Astros.The Mariners (82-67) are expecting both left-hander James Paxton and right-hander Felix Hernandez to rejoin the rotation at some point during their current 10-game road trip. Paxton, who last pitched on Sept. 7 against the New York Yankees, has been sidelined by pneumonia. He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session upon his return prior to making his 27th start.Hernandez has been hampered by right hamstring soreness that caused him to exit his start against the Yankees on Sept. 8 after allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits and three walks over four innings. He threw over the weekend in Seattle and could rejoin the rotation in time to pitch in Houston.Hernandez made a start against the Astros on Aug. 20, his first following a brief demotion to the bullpen and first career relief appearance. He did not factor into the decision in that 7-4 home win after allowing four runs on five hits and two walks with six strikeouts over six innings.
zhangzk

Return to General Chat