Help! Where's the buttons?

Help! Where's the buttons?

Postby Lyric080 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:56 am

Hiya guys.

Total noob here, but this game looks so promising so can't wait to start.

I got Glulx on the computer and also downloaded all the gblorb files and other exe files associated with it all.

My question is though.

Is there any way to play the game without hyperlinks or keypad presses? I mean like getting the hypertext choices into buttons you press instead?

It just seems so very small and unhandy clicking on all the small hyperlinks when playing the game (even though it's better than typing everything).

So.. You know. Have an interface of some sorts?

Thank you beforehand and appreciate all the great work you're doing :-)
Lyric080
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:50 am

Re: Help! Where's the buttons?

Postby TigerStripes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:13 pm

As for buttons, hyperlinks are probably as close as we can get to buttons w/Inform, but the new engine we're working on will have a button-based interface instead of typed commands.
User avatar
TigerStripes
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Help! Where's the buttons?

Postby Lyric080 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:52 am

Yay!

Thank you for the response Tiger.

I'm looking forward to try out the new engine.

Is it correctly understood that if I've already started a game, that when the new engine is introduced, you'll be able to keep playing it in the new engine?
Lyric080
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:50 am

Re: Help! Where's the buttons?

Postby TigerStripes » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:07 am

Lyric080 wrote:Is it correctly understood that if I've already started a game, that when the new engine is introduced, you'll be able to keep playing it in the new engine?

You'll need to start a new game from scratch when you switch over to the new engine, but it should allow for complete saving and restoration (eventually).
User avatar
TigerStripes
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Help! Where's the buttons?

Postby ElSterno » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:30 am

TigerStripes wrote:
Lyric080 wrote:Is it correctly understood that if I've already started a game, that when the new engine is introduced, you'll be able to keep playing it in the new engine?

You'll need to start a new game from scratch when you switch over to the new engine, but it should allow for complete saving and restoration (eventually).


Would I be correct in assuming you will have to manually transfer content from the old (non) engine to the new one?

If so, that sounds like an astronomical amount of work.

Is it maybe better to just start over content-wise once the new engine and mechanics are in place?
ElSterno
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:30 am

Re: Help! Where's the buttons?

Postby TigerStripes » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:39 pm

ElSterno wrote:Would I be correct in assuming you will have to manually transfer content from the old (non) engine to the new one?

If so, that sounds like an astronomical amount of work.

Is it maybe better to just start over content-wise once the new engine and mechanics are in place?

Yes, we'll need to create new code for existing material to be built into. As such, I'd say it's a safe bet that the new game will be a mix of classic content and new material with some new and improved mechanics. There is a lot of the existing content that I feel it really worth salvaging and importing into the new game, chiefly many of the monsters and probably several of the NPCs and their story arcs. By re-including many of the current monsters over time, we'll be able to provide a rich and full bestiary across many locations in much less than the 5 years or so it's taken us.
User avatar
TigerStripes
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:39 pm


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests